Friday, January 27, 2012

I want to switch my dog to a raw food diet?

I've done research on this, I've joined several yahoo groups, etc. Since my dog has been on kibble for a little while(Blue Wilderness) everyone has suggested slowly started adding in raw foods and taking away kibble. Everyone has suggested starting off with a raw egg in the shell on top of a little kibble.



However, I cannot find the answer to one question. Can my dog eat the shell as well? Is the shell a good part of the raw food diet?I want to switch my dog to a raw food diet?
I switched my dogs over cold turkey, pardon the pun! They also get organic whole eggs, shell and all. They love it and it is good for them.I want to switch my dog to a raw food diet?
Dont slowly take kibble away, do it all at once! Kibble digests slower then Raw so you will ultimately hurt your dog.



Yes, they can eat the shell, it IS good for them.
Im looking at putting my dog on an all raw food diet too.



Have you been on this site before?



http://www.rawmeatybones.com/diet/exp-di鈥?/a>



Its great!



Dogs can eat egg shells... however I wouldnt personally give it to my dog.I want to switch my dog to a raw food diet?
shell is good. :) my dog likes them. my cats don't.
Dogs often gulp, and seldom chew like humans, until food is pulverized. I'd be a little concerned about him swallowing large pieces of shell.I want to switch my dog to a raw food diet?
Break the shell and give the raw egg. Make your transition ASAP - the raw diet, if you're researched it thoroughly, is much better for your dog. Here's a website that confirms what you're doing.



http://www.thedogfoodconspiracy.com/dog-鈥?/a>
Yes, the shell is a great part of the raw diet. My dogs love the shells but I supervise them just in case. When I started, I crunched the whole egg, shell and all, and mixed it into the dog food. Decreasing the amount of kibble and increasing the amount of raw meat (I started with hamburger) Eventually they were on full raw diet and eggs (I give them eggs every other day.) Due to the economy (for a 16 year old at that) I feed them 1 cup of kibble (Canidae) with 20 ounces of Raw Meat as well as a little plain organic yogurt and of course the eggs. Good luck
Eggs are great, mine love them. I freeze them and offer them as yummy summer time hot weather treats.



No transition is needed, simply toss the yucky kibble and start that pup on REAL food, asap!!!

As for the groups youve joined, if you have joined rawfeeding and rawchat, with our combined over 15000 members, NO ONE will have told you to start slow, or just start by adding an egg, I gaurantee this.

These lists are again....



RAWFEEDING



RAWCHAT



On yahoo groups, go...join, you wont be sorry.



The reason behind the no transition is that kibble and rawfoods have different rates of digestion. Raw is very very fast, it moves thru their systems incredible quick, which is why theres just no danger from ecoli, or salmonella with raw. Kibble , due to its composition and presence of un natural fillers, carbs and other non essentials to a carnivores diet, takes FOREVER to pass thru. To mix the two is simply asking for trouble. Some folks opt for a 24 hr fast between the last kibble meal and the first raw meal, just to allow for the remaining kibble to be eliminated. I did this, but it is personal preference. Join those lists I suggested above and be sure to check out the archived messages..there are answers to questions in there you didnt know you had. LOL
I wouldn't recommend giving him the shell just to be on the safe side. Its like giving a dog a bone, many people will argue that a dog can handle it but experts advise people to stay away giving them bones. I haven't heard much about dogs eating egg shells but I wouldn't do just to be safe. Good luck.
You run the risk of giving your dog salmonella on the raw food diet - and this can be transmitted to humans. You also run the risk of feeding a nutritionally inadequate diet.
  • muffler
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment