Sunday, February 26, 2012

If I switch my dog to a RAW food diet will her breath and teeth improve?

I just adopted an 8 year old Maltese and her teeth look yucky, but not horrible. A couple are missing. She has terrible breath. Really really bad.If I switch my dog to a RAW food diet will her breath and teeth improve?
I can only answer this question based on my own personal experience.

I switched my 7 year old Kelpie to an all raw diet and his breath is soooo much better and his teeth are lovely and white.If I switch my dog to a RAW food diet will her breath and teeth improve?
LOL - Ok how many ways can you phrase this question???



There is no good advice until after she has seen a vet. They will be able to tell you the most accurate answer since we can't examine her teeth. She will most likely need more teeth removed %26amp; vet can show you how to brush them for maintenance. There is nothing til then that is going to magically make her breath better. It is very important given the condition of her teeth to do this soon before it cause more health issues for her.If I switch my dog to a RAW food diet will her breath and teeth improve?
Here is a copy of an anser I just gave to another dog question:

Based on my past experience you are not going to like my answer but here goes. The major cause of bad breath in humans is the tongue where bacteria grow and produce the bad breath. It is the same for the dog. Dog bad breath is primarily due to the bacteria on the tongue. In order to "cure" bad breath this bacteria must be removed on a regular basis. The only tongue cleaner that Iknow of that can be used on a dog is OraBrush because it is both a brush and a scraper. It is very gentle but effective. I have seen a Vet clean a dog's tongue with OraBrush and it worked very well. Here is their website if you are interested: http://www.orabrush.com Mints and gum or similar products for the dog just cover up the bad breath for a short time. To get rid of bad breath you must remove the cause of bad breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment