Monday, February 20, 2012

What is the best website to find recipes for a raw food diet for my cat?

The recipes must be wheat gluten free and are carb free. My cat is diabetic.What is the best website to find recipes for a raw food diet for my cat?
This site has excellent information on cat nutrition, feline diabetes (read!), and on making cat food.



http://www.catinfo.org/



Do not be dismayed if you do not have a grinder. I do not grind my cats' raw food. It is important that your cat does eat the recommended amount of bone so you'll have to get him or her used to eating them if you can't grind.



This commercial site has almost the identical recipe to Dr Pierson's above:



http://www.felinefuture.com/?p=1299



If it all seems too much at first you can order their premix supplement and use it to make raw cat food from ground meats from the supermarket. It is a good product but not cheap!



My own cats are not fussy. I don't grind anything. The basis for their raw food works out to 10%-15% bone, 10%-15% organs ( including liver!), the rest meat/skin/fat. With meats like chicken, turkey, and rabbit it is really easy because I merely need hack it up, my cats eat bones readily.



Other meats I feed less often because they should be supplemented with bone meal or chicken necks since cats can't handle the bones - beef, goat, venison.



Don't change your diabetic cat's diet from one with carbohydrate to one without without supervision. The cat's insulin requirement could be much less and the excess insulin could put the cat in a coma.



There is a feline diabetes expert on this site. I will email him for you.What is the best website to find recipes for a raw food diet for my cat?
http://www.catinfo.org Dr Lisa Pierson's site with tons of info on cat nutrition, including a page on diabetes, and she has a recipe for making raw food

No comments:

Post a Comment