Sunday, February 26, 2012

Why am I bloated and constipated when I'm living on raw food?

I've eaten nothing but fruit and raw vegetables and nuts since Monday and I'm constipated - when I wasn't before.

Fruit and veg are suppose to be wonders for curing constipation not causing it so what's wrong with me? I'm just so bloated and sluggish.Why am I bloated and constipated when I'm living on raw food?
You are most likely constipated and bloated because of your quick switch-over to eating foods with lots of fiber. Anytime you switch from eating little fiber to lots of fiber, that's going to happen because you're overwhelming your system with so much material to process. My advice is, since the RDA for fiber is 20 to 35 grams, start slow with 20 grams and work your way up to 40. Also, Metamucil, prunes and magnesium supplements may ease your constipation. You can still do this while eating raw; there are plenty of fruits and veggies with less fiber: bananas, avocados, etc.Why am I bloated and constipated when I'm living on raw food?
Some fruits and vegetables are good for it, others not. I think banana actually stops you up. If you really want to be less constipated, you need more fiber, and you're not going to get it just eating only fruits and veggies. If you can, add some grain to your diet: granola, bread, heck even a fiber bar helps. If nothing else, then get the powdered kind you can add to drinks. It will help. But fruits and vegs alone won't give you enough fiber to have normal bowel movements, especially when you're eatting a lot of them. Not to mention, cooking sometimes breaks down raw food in the process, which helps your body digest it easier. Perhaps eating it raw is keeping your body from that as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment